Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35
An Old Classic

Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Postscript

I started out with very little knowledge in boat restoration.  What I had was experience in woodworking, painting, plumbing, and electrical from my work in construction.  I had also built 4 small wooden boats; three  16 foot McKenzie River drift boats and one Doug Hylan designed 13 foot Maine Peapod.  I used three main books for reference during this project, Don Casey's This Old Boat, Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, and Beth Leonard's The Voyager's Handbook.  I also talked to boat owners and read blogs on the internet and of course Googled.

The 1974 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35 Hull number 337 was in serious disrepair.  It was a wreck.  It took me 5 years(2.5 years part time and 2.5 years near full time) to turn it from a wreck to near new condition.  The work is documented here: www.lizardheadone.com.  Everything on this boat was replaced except for mast and boom, a few cleats, and the interior cabinetry(I did replace the galley cabinetry).  I did 99.999% of the work myself.  It took thousands of hours in labor, tens of thousands of dollars, and energy and motivation that at times became hard to come by.  This project became a grueling marathon that never ended. But it did.

The transformation started almost immediately after stepping the mast.  My body released the tension and anxiety that had built up over the last two years of restoration.  My legs went weak.  It was actually hard to stand for a few hours.  A sense of calm and satisfaction was replacing anxiety and stress.  The boat restoration had taken it's toll on me.  The burden of a job of this magnitude was lifted and it felt good.  Now it's time for ME to rehab.

In hindsight, I would have taken another coarse in becoming a boat owner.  I would have purchased a boat in better condition for starters.  One with a nice equipment list.  One that would take far less effort to bring back to condition.  There was no financial advantage to buying a low cost boat and rebuilding it. With all the advantages that I had (boat shed at my house, woodworking shop, time, and sufficient funds) the project was almost too much for me.  I had doubts many times about finishing.  Posting my work on the internet really helped in keeping me motivated.  I heard from folks around the world and they gave me encouragement and advice.  Thank you.

This restoration project did, however, give me a enormous sense of accomplishment. It also gave me knowledge necessary to repair any system on the boat.  I really know this boat.  This project was a journey in itself, and even though I doubt I would ever attempt something like this again, I believe I will always be glad that I did it.  ONCE.

Cheers
Pat

4 comments:

Resurrection of the Irish Rose said...

Doing what you did Pat is a great accomplishment. Like you, I do the same thing. Find a wreck, fall in love and years of hard labor. I have build a few steel boats from the ground up. That was much, much worst. It tore me and my family at the time, apart. It seems I get a convoluted thought in my mind as to how the project will go and always turns out to be a little unrealistic.
I have put as much money into my HR 35 as i bought it for now and have a short list now. Still there will be safety gear to take off south. I did not go the route you did with making everything new. I bought a lot of used stuff and rebuilt it. Just another approach.
I always tell people who have never done this to save their money and buy a turn-key boat. Like me, they don't listen.
I'm glad you are where you are at with the boat and with yourself.
...Martin

Pat Sixbey said...

So Martin you understand.
Thanks for the note.
Pat

Mark said...

Hi Pat
I purchased Hull no 777 recently and in looking at your efforts it has given me great ideas re mine. It was already in pretty good nick after extensive work 5 years ago so now its just a matter of tweaking her to suit. She is at the Royal Suva Yacht Club in Fiji where I live on her.
Am trying to set up a facebook page for Rasmus owners as there must be a few around

Anonymous said...

Mr Pedro recently helped us with a loan which we used to expand our business. The process was amazing! He was in touch with us frequently to check in and to update us on what was happening throughout our loan repayment. He was friendly and approachable and always able to clear up questions that we had. We had such a great experience working with Pedro!!
Contact A Loan Officer Pedro
Email: pedroloanss@gmail.com
WhatsApp: +18632310632